Monday, February 11, 2013

The Literature of the Heretics


Part 1


It is impossible to understand, let alone face, an enemy that one has ignored.

The difficulty faced by many Christians today, who seem as bold as ever in standing up to the heresy of skeptics is that they have never actually bothered to listen to the skeptic. This is as general a truth as they come: the Christian is far more likely to be found reading the words of those with whom they generally agree than of those who oppose them. We tend to flock, like swallows to Capistrano, to the words and arguments that reinforce the ideas we already hold.

I don’t say this because I think that it is a generally bad thing. After all, the famous heretics of today must have become famous because their heresies are powerful; they have demonstrated an ability to shake the faith of their readers. And though I would never say that there is anything for the Christian to fear from skeptical literature—really, I believe that it is the other way around: an atheist ought to be extraordinarily careful about what he reads if he is to guard his faith—I can nevertheless understand those who do fear it, who are afraid—deathly afraid—that by so much as cracking the spine of The Origin of the Species they might be ingesting the poison of doubt—a slow-acting, bitter concoction that will lead to the death of faith. So we close our minds to the ideas of the heretics.

For some these fears are well-founded: the heretics who create literature are very good at preying on the fears of weak believers, and the power of their words are only increased by their certainty. They state things as facts; they make every point as if one would be a superstitious fool to disagree; just as the humanist scientist knows that, if he is to disprove faith, he need only confidently state that he has already done so.

What I have discovered, though, is that one blessedly reaches a point in their faith where the confidence of the heretic is no longer sufficient ammunition to be led astray. While the weak and the new—those Paul admonishes for craving spiritual milk rather than solid food—might find ample reason to abandon their faith when faced with well-written heresy (and should therefore seek only edifying words), the mature believer need not fall prey to such false fear. Eventually one can explore the literature of the heretics freely, to understand them in order to reach the steady hand of the gospel into a non-believing world.

It was in this spirit that I spent several years seeking the truth about science, only to find that our progress in science has provided neither an implicit denial of God, nor explicit evidence against His role in our lives. Science, I learned, is perfectly harmless, once one gets past the scientist’s assertions that he stands on the cusp of destroying God once and for all. I can say with confidence that there is nothing to this because I have sought the truth for myself.

Now I have begun down the same path in exploring the literature of the unbelievers. There are certain pieces of literature that, if the assertions of the skeptics are to be believed, amount to an almost absolute destruction of the faith; modern documents that prove, once and for all, that God has no place in our lives or our world. There are men who are as much prophets and priests of the secular world as have ever been found in Christendom.

My next several posts will be spent in addressing some of the claims made in two of the most popular of these works: Christopher Hitchens’ God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything and Richard Dawkins’ The God Delusion. Hitchens, who died in 2011 and now understands the tragedy of his life’s work, was as famous for his wit as for his humanism; he appears to have been likeable as a person, but incendiary as an opponent to religion. Dawkins, on the other hand, takes a more scientific approach to speak against faith, having written numerous books on the evidence of natural selection in addition to cataloguing the social evils of religion.

Both of these books, I readily admit, I have read in their entirety. And, I can say without hesitation, I am no closer to abandoning my faith than I was when I began the first pages.

I am not, of course, the sort of reader either of these men had in mind when they wrote their books. In almost any persuasive work there is the understanding that the arguments will be the most effective against the undecided or the fence-straddlers. A polemic against Christianity is far more likely to mollify those who already share the belief than to sway those who are already Christians; these books, like the pleadings of politicians, are meant for those who take the middle-ground. Their arguments will far more readily persuade those who already had lingering doubts than those who have faced and conquered their doubt.

Of course, Hitchens considered the difficulty somewhat differently: "Of course, dyed-in-the-wool faith-heads are immune to argument, their resistance built up over years of childhood indoctrination using methods that took centuries to mature (whether by evolution or design)." He is forgetting, of course, of those "dyed-in-the-wool faith-heads" who were converted later in life rather than indoctrinated in their youth--a remarkably bountiful school of individuals almost too numerous in my own church to count, but never mind that little fact.

There remains little expectation, either by Dawkins or Hitchens, that a person like me (a faith-head of the indoctrinated type) would likely be made an atheist by reading their books. They might hold out hope that by some miracle (if it is appropriate to use such a word in this context) I might stumble in my faith, but the odds are certainly against them in this, and they know it. After all, they don’t believe, as I do, that there is a Holy Spirit or a God who is able to change even the hardest of hearts. They know that there is very little chance that a person like me, who actively opposes their offensive, will be convinced to abandon them. I believe, however, that there is a force powerful enough to prick the conscience of even the most ardent opponent to faith, and that we are but tools of this force. This is why I will persevere in speaking out.

Now, about these books:

I have to admit, first off, that while both books thoroughly engaged me through the first several chapters, by the time I finished either of them I was no longer avidly consuming every word or making detailed notes on every argument. I was no longer finding cause to highlight select passages on every page or even to stop and consider my own responses to the arguments presented. I became, in fact, almost disinterested.

The reason for this wasn’t exhaustion—I admit that I had geared up for a fight when I sat down with these books, and I was more than ready to be challenged. Eager to be challenged, even. It was not that I found the arguments presented by Hitchens or Dawkins to be horribly off-target and unwarranted; on the contrary! The truth is that, more often than not, I agreed with them.

I think that both Dawkins and Hitchens would be horrified to learn that I, a proud Christian who believes in conquering the world for the gospel of Jesus Christ, find myself in common, if not frequent, agreement with these anti-religion screeds, despite the utter disparity between my life’s mission and theirs, despite the fervor with which they denounce my beliefs or the reams of paper I would happily use in demonstrating the futility and hopelessness of theirs.

 “Yes,” I said emphatically, more often than not as I read of some tragedy or another perpetrated in the name of religion. “Yes,” I could say without hesitation, “there have been many shameful things done by those who claim to be religious. Yes, these are things that should be both understood and spoken out against.”

The joyful truth is this: these books spend chapter after chapter detailing the horrors of religion, and as they did so I could happily agree, because I recognized the one thing that eluded the authors: they were hardly ever writing about my religion. Dawkins titled his book The God Delusion, and Hitchens, God is Not Great, and in both cases I found many, many mentions of many, many gods, but I found hardly any mention of my God. They only rarely touched on the things I believe, the positions I hold, the relationships that are central to my life. Hitchens affirms that religion poisons everything, and yet he seems to have taken very little notice of what I believe. Both men have penned scathing critiques of religion—and many of their attacks are not entirely dissimilar from those of Christ Himself, who thoroughly lambasted the religious zealots of his day, or of the Apostle Paul, who fought fervently against the early church becoming a slave to religiosity. Dawkins and Hitchens might wince at the comparison, but there is truly something eerily similar about their arguments and those of the very Christ they deny.

I won’t attempt to defend religion here. Where would be the point in that? I won’t defend the horrors of the suicide bombers of Islam, the Temple Prostitutes or Caste system of Hinduism, or even the cultural evils of many Christian denominations today. I’ll proudly stand by the humanists in condemning the cult of Westboro and the bombing of abortion clinics and I will proudly denounce a so-called Christian openly acting against the Word of God. Some things are simply indefensible. I will only defend the God of the Bible, who is as wholly separate from these things as good is from evil.

The points of agreement I find with these men may be evident and surprising, but our disagreements remain far more important—carrying, as they do, the weight of eternity. And while I agree with many of their points—and I would encourage all believers to become familiar with these points and to never hesitate in voicing their agreement—I do not excuse their intentions. These men may not understand the God that I worship, they may not even believe in Him, but their efforts are nevertheless to destroy Him (a paradox, to be sure, but what is life without paradox?). They may not have ever understood the Bible, but they still seek to build a society that has no need for it.

I will spend the next several posts offering my counter-argument to these books, for they represent nothing less than an opposition to God, and that alone makes them worth my attention. I only hope that I am able to demonstrate that, though they have learned much about religion, they seem to know almost nothing at all about Jesus; and that is the true tragedy.

8 comments:

  1. Nice: The question we all need to ask is where did our beliefs come from? Most of us get our beliefs from someone telling us to believe a certain way instead of doing our own evaluation. Your article is a good way to see how a person is open to new information. When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment--as for the final question, I would say that there have been times in my life when I have been made aware of certain "facts" that did indeed lead me to change very important positions on things. But, as a whole, I would never say that "when the facts change I change my mind," not because it is not true, but because the word "fact" has come to mean less and less in our society. I feel like when people say this they are generally trying to get me to read statistics and analyses and studies that are being presented as "facts," when they are really nothing of the kind. I'll change my mind if I am genuinely persuaded that I was wrong (and I have done so), but not because someone declares something to be "fact".

      Delete
  2. Atheism is not a "religion", and requires no faith as it makes no positive claims. Atheism is the rejection of the assertion that god(s) exist, plan and simple. To say that it's a belief, requires faith or is itself a "religion" is essentially a straw man, you're setting atheism up on the same level as you hold your beliefs, and then attempting to knock it down, using the same methodology you'd use to refute other SIMILAR beliefs, such as Islam or Mormonism, for example. When in fact, atheism is not similar and does not rely on faith or belief.

    I also find it funny that you use Origin of Species as an example of a book that “creates doubt.“ instead of The God Delusion, or God is Not Great. The Origin of Species is the foundational document of modern biology. Nowhere in it does Darwin attempt to refute Christianity, or any other faith, nor is it intended to undermine religious beliefs. it’s an empirically sound, testable, repeatable (verifiable) documentation of the observations made by Darwin and a description/explanation of the theory of evolution. I guess the problem lies in the fact that what we know to true about the natural world certainly conflicts with the claims of Christianity (and every other religion on earth). But that shouldn’t invoke fear, that should inspire the reader to questions the truth of their original premise. If what they believe about the world to be true, is in fact, demonstrably false, the only rational and reasonable response is to discard their previous beliefs and adopt the new framework for understanding life on our planet. That’s not a bad thing however, it’s a really good thing in fact, not something that should be feared.

    Do you know what it’s called when someone reaches a point when, “the confidence of the heretic is no longer sufficient ammunition to be led astray?” Or when anything, regardless of the truth of the claim is unable to sway the beliefs of the faithful? Its called indoctrination. When someone reaches a point at which they’re so closed minded as to be unable to even entertain the possibility that their beliefs aren’t absolutely true is a very dangerous and unhealthy thing. We hear about these kinds of people on the news all the time, they’re called terrorists. Blind faith is NOT a virtue, it is not something that should be encouraged or aspired to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay--thank you so much for reading, and I'm excited to know that you'll be reading my follow-up posts (believe it or not, no matter how thoroughly we disagree, I respect your enthusiasm for the subject, and just knowing that you will be reading will almost certainly lead me to make a greater effort). Hopefully some of your objections will be dealt with in my later posts (obviously there is just too much here to respond to all at once), but I just wanted to mention a few places that I apparently wasn't clear enough in my post, or I was just misread:
      You said: "I also find it funny that you use Origin of Species as an example of a book that “creates doubt.“" You misunderstood my point. I don't think that "Origin" is a work that creates doubt; I think it is a book that Christians are needlessly afraid of, and they shouldn't be. I agree (to an extent) with what you say about "Origin". Darwin wasn't trying to destroy Christianity, but Christians treat him as if he were. I am only trying to say that if a Christian truly believes in what he claims, he should not be afraid of these things, because it will either show that God does not exist or not. If it shows that God doesn't exist, then why would we bother to follow Him (this is, I assume, the path you have taken), so there is no harm here. I, personally, don't believe that it shows anything of the sort. I admit that my perspective on things like my interpretation of Genesis 1 has been altered by my scientific studies, but I have only found that my faith fits even better with the scientific record now.

      Second, you say: "Your statement that scientists are on the cusp of destroying god is also rather ridiculous. That’s like saying science is on the cusp of destroying our belief in unicorns, or garden fairies." That's not what I meant at all. I would never say that scientists are on the cusp of destroying God--I said that they CLAIM that they are on the cusp of destroying God. It may not be true, and, as you said, it may not even be possible, but it IS what is claimed. I have read a LOT of science books (and I wrote a book on physics that's been published in six countries and translated into three languages--I say this not to boast, but to demonstrate a hint of credibility) and I am more than conversant in modern cosmology and theoretical physics, and I know for a fact that there are prominent scientists who would, wrongheaded or not, assert this.

      Man... too much here to respond to and not nearly enough time to do it on my lunch break :) Thanks again for reading, and I really do hope to continue this dialogue with you, whether here or in further posts!

      Delete
  3. Regarding your assertion that science neither proves or disproves gods existence. While this may be true, there is exactly zero evidence that would lead someone to the conclusion that god(s) had any hand in our origins, or continue to have any involvement in your everyday lives. This belief can ONLY be predicated on faith, it is a belief without evidence, and should not be equated with science, it’s comparing apples to oranges. Furthermore, using the scientific method, and through science we have discovered a great deal about our planet and the universe in general. We are able to explain a great deal about the existence of our universe, and the existence of life on our planet without invoking a creator, or a personal god that dabbles in the day to day affairs of six, or seven billion individuals. The burden of proof isn’t on science, or scientists, they’re not the ones making the assertion. The burden of proof lies squarely on the believer to prove god exists. Your statement that scientists are on the cusp of destroying god is also rather ridiculous. That’s like saying science is on the cusp of destroying our belief in unicorns, or garden fairies. Scientists doesn’t set out with presuppositions about what they’re going to find and then try and make the evidence fit their presuppositions, that’s how religion works. Science makes an observation, asks a question, forms a hypothesis, and then tests the hypothesis to determine whether or not the hypothesis is correct. If a scientist’s experimentation does not confirm their hypothesis, the hypothesis is thrown out and they begin again. Religion on the other hand, when confronted with evidence to the contrary of their presuppositions either makes excuses, or totally ignores that evidence and maintains the original claims. Apples to oranges, and the two are NOT compatible. Science is an ever changing body of knowledge, religious beliefs on the other hand do not change, no matter how preposterous the claims become in the light of actual, factual truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to the rest of your posts on this subject, but I am saddened by the fact that no matter how much evidence you’re confronted with that is contrary to your beliefs, there is no hope that you will “see the light”. Hitchens was famous for saying, “consider the reasons you reject other religions (Islam or Mormonism for example) and then you’ll understand why I reject yours.” The amount of special pleading you resort to, to maintain that Christianity is somehow different from other religions is problematic. There’s nothing different about the claims of Christianity or “your god” or Jesus from the claims of Islam about Allah and the prophet Muhammad. Except, Muslims can corroborate the existence of Muhammad using contemporary historical accounts, the same cannot be said about Jesus. And using the bible to prove the bible is true is circular, and again doesn’t stand up to reason. There are an endless number of very good reasons to reject the assertion that god(s) exist, your god or any other, and only 1 reason to believe that god(s) do exist, faith. Faith is the belief in something in spite of a total lack of evidence, or in this case, in spite of an overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary. Lastly, the assertion that Dawkins, Hitchens and other humanists “know almost nothing about Jesus” is simply not true. They address the claims about Jesus in the same way that they address other, similar claims. Just because Jesus happens to be the focus of your beliefs doesn’t mean he warrants any extra attention. The bottom line is, there is no good reason to believe the bible is true, no corroborating evidence that Jesus ever even existed or did anything the bible claims he did. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and Christianity makes A LOT of extraordinary claims, but fails to provide any evidence, let alone extraordinary evidence. It is reasonable to reject Christianity for that reason alone, there just simply isn’t any actual, compelling evidence that Christianity is true, and there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They only allow 4096 characters at a time... sorry I had to break that up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isaac, as a girl who was raised by a man whose love of science is only rivaled by his love of God and who taught me to never fear science as it's wonders and truths will only point to a a both vast and intricate creation I am very excited to be reading this and your future posts.

    Thanks!
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete